Monday, March 14, 2016

Bienvenidos a infierno!

Hi everyone! Wow! Thanks for all the letters! That was awesome! I would love to reply to all of them, but it took a while to read them all- and I don't have much time. But I was really really glad to read them! It was perfect!

So I celebrated my birthday this week by having changes!  I am now in a beautiful city named San Miguel. It's on the other side of the country. And it's pretty hot here. (remember the guy at the pupuseria?) When we got of the bus the attendant told us "bienvenidos a infierno!"

To be honest it reminds me a lot of St. George. When you go outside your skin just starts to hurt from the sun. Sweating is just a way of life. The only time you don't sweat is when you're in the shower. But the thing is that it's so hot the water comes out lukewarm, so even taking showers isn't as refreshing as it could be. My companion and I are contemplating puting a fan in the bathroom while we shower.

Speaking of my companion, he's a stud. His name is Elder Hernandez, he's from the city of Guatemala. He's only got about a month on the mission. I'm actually finishing his training. But I don't need to do much. He is super motivated, and very prepared. He's also a convert, telling his conversion story to investigators is really one of his strengths. He's also learning English. The rule we put for ourselves is to speak English in the house, and Spanish in the street.

I am part of the Zone La Union. So every pday and district meeting we have to take an hour and a half bus ride to the city of La Union.  We are going to be doing a lot of traveling here. For district meetings we spend more time on the bus than in the meetings.

Yesterday we had a pretty cool spiritual experience:

We needed 6 new investigators for the week to achieve the standards of excellence.  Me and Elder Hernandez put the goal to talk to 25 people in the street on Sunday. To find 6 new investigators. We weren't able to get out to work until 5:30, and we had dinner with a member family at 8:00. So we only had 2 and a half hours to work.

We didn't have time to teach lessons, so we just carried a Book of Mormon in hand and offered to share it with people. The scripture talked about baptism, and afterward we invited them to baptism on the street.

Not surprisingly we got turned down a lot. But of the 26 people we talked to, 6 accepted the date to be baptized.  Yesterday was a pretty sweet day, numbers wise, but it also helped my testimony grow a lot. All day we had been praying, asking that Heavenly Father would put chosen people in our path. And I really believe that we found some chosen people yesterday.

Sorry, out of time

Love you!

-Elder Goodman

Cake from a family in Alta Vista.

Me cleaning our bathroom

1 comment: