Monday, March 28, 2016

A bag of water in 8.54 seconds

So, this week was a little different than normal. On Thursday we did the semiannual temple trip.  This time rather than being an hour drive from Ilopango it was a 3.5 hour drive from San Miguel. We spent 7 hours on a bus that day. Needless to say, the investigators that we were able to bring are pretty dedicated! The temple trip was pretty awesome though. I saw a ton of people that I know, and I was able to say hi to them. It was really cool!

This week was the "Semana Santa." Easter Week. I thought it would be a really big deal down here, but really the only difference is that they get the week off. I think our family has better Easter traditions, than the majority of the people here.

The city just shuts down. No one on the roads, no one in their houses. Supposedly everyone basically just goes to the beach this week. Friday we had plans to go to Hato Nuevo, a Colonia in our area. It's about 15 minutes away in bus. The problem is that on Friday there were no buses. We ended up walking. Starting at about one thirty, when it is the hottest. It took about an hour and a half. It was horrible. Another problem is that all the stores are closed that day. So we couldn't buy water.  (We drink about 3 liters of water a day. For us it makes more sense to just buy water.  We buy a 500 ml bag of water whenever we get thirsty.  The bags are 2 for a quarter, and cold. )

Fun side note. This week I set my record for the amount of time it takes to drink one bag. 8.54 seconds. My district leader's is 5.2ish seconds. But he's a lot bigger than I am. On Friday I got pretty burned. But we had some good lessons that day, so it was worth it. I was also wearing my boots that day, which I'm starting to realize aren't the best for walking a lot. They look really cool, but they aren't the most comfortable. Friday night my legs and feet were really hurting.
On Friday night the USA soccer team played Guatemala, and lost. 2-0. I am the only American in my Ward (of the missionaries) and there are 4 Guatemalans, including my companion. I got a lot of flack about that.

I have a heat rash on my back that is really itchy.

I found out that if you coat the nerf bullets in talcum powder before shooting them it makes a cool little explosion out of the gun when you shoot. And it makes a nice little white mark when it hits stuff.

That's about all that I can think to write about. Thanks for everything! I love you!

-Elder Goodman

Responses to questions from Kanani
1.  What ward are you in?
Gavidia
2.  Do they have Dollar Stores and WalMarts in San Miguel?
Yeah... But the problem is that I'm in the zone La Unión. Which means that I can't go to the stores in San Miguel.
3.  Do you eat at member's houses or just hire someone?
We pay a member for lunch. And we have a dinner calender for dinner.
4.  How often do you have zone conferences?
Once a change. (every 6 weeks) But we have district meetings every week.
5.  What is your apartment like here?  Microwave?  Oven?  Stove?
Microwave, Hot plate, fridge.





No comments:

Post a Comment