Monday, January 11, 2016

Ward Mission Activity

This was a pretty average week. Probably the coolest thing that happened actually happened last week, but I didn't have time to write about it. We had our ward mission activity. (The day I was trying to submit my poop). We thought the ward was planning something, but we found out about two hours before that they wanted us (the missionaries) to plan it.

I don't want to brag, but we came up with a really cool idea! We had a treasure hunt in the church. We hid sticky notes with numbers on them all over the church. But in carefully planned spots. To find the sticky notes the people playing read a scripture, and judging from what the scripture talked about they had to go find the notes. For example, A scripture about Helaman's army of stripling warriors. The investigators/members made the connection that it's talking about young men, so they go to the young men's room. Where the next sticky note is hidden that gives them a scripture that talks about tithing. So they run to the bishop's office where the tithing envelopes are. We had 3 teams going at the same time, in different order. Racing. And the last clue talks about the tree of life. Outside there is a tree with Christmas lights on it. The first one there wins. My team won!  Outside under the tree we had a mini devotional, and then lined everyone up in two lines facing each other. And they took turns bearing their testimonies to each other. It was a roaring success! Everyone loved it. I also came up with some benefits that came because of the activity.

1. The investigators are more familiar with the church building.
2. They got to bear their testimonies.
3. They heard other's testimonies.
4. They know have several friends in the ward (their teammates and their testimony partner.)
5. An investigator actually told me this one: She learned that if she studies the scriptures with a question in mind it will be more effective!

I also have really good news! I got the letters from the ward! And from Uncle Ike's family! Thank you! I also witnessed a miracle. I got the package from the Knudsen's! I don't know what happened to that thing, but it finally arrived. and it looked like they had to move it through a battle zone to get it to me. One of the bags of pizza flour broke inside, so when we opened it that stuff got everywhere. Everything inside was coated with it as well. And the Salt Water Taffy had melted over everything. But don't worry! I was able to clean it up pretty well. The only thing that couldn't be saved was the taffy.

A couple weeks ago some ward members gave us a bag of rice and lentils. I think it's designed for food storage. It's made by NuSkin. This week we tried it, and to be honest it was pretty gross. But... I was looking through the pantry and I found some curry. I added that and had some curried rice and lentils. It wasn't as good as your's mom, but it was alright!

This week I bought a kilogram of chocolate from a street vendor for a dollar. They just open up the cocoa pod and mix in some sugar. It's pretty rich stuff. I can't eat very much of it at a time. That's what the picture is. Street chocolate. There's also a different kind of street chocolate here that is even more common. It's made by the street dogs.... They just do their business anywhere they want. We always have to be on guard.

This computer won't let me send pictures, so I'll send more next week. Sorry!
-Elder Goodman

Questions from Kanani:

1. Is there anything you want/need?

I've been thinking that I want to try yoga.. Could you send me a really simple yoga book? I have a really hard time exercising in the mornings, so I'm looking for different things to change it up. 2. An elastic exercise band. 3. My leatherman- I'm not sure if you'll be able to send that, but several times I have been in situations where I wish I had it.

2. Do you have a parasite?  Or did you find out what your illness was?

Nope. I'm clean! We still have no idea what it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment