Monday, October 3, 2016

General Conference

We had a good week out here! General Conference was definitely the highlight. We had the privilege of setting up the chapel for the broadcast.I was pretty gratefully for everything that Brother Mallory taught me- because we had to get the satellite going, connect the projector and the building sound. The technology is a lot more high tech out here!  We also wanted to set up an English room. We decided to set it up in the branch president's office. One of the few rooms with air conditioning. We wanted to connect it to the satellite as well, for a more secure connection. But the branch president office doesn't have a connection to the satellite, and we didn't even have the right cables to connect the TV to the satellite. So Elder Palmer and I went out and found a sweet electronics store- they custom made us a cable- 10 yards for 6 bucks!  It was a huge blessing! We were able to watch all the sessions in English, and with air conditioning!  We also set up a room to watch it in sign language- we set that one up in the office using the internet. The deaf family were only there for one session, but the internet still went out halfway through and we had to run around during Pres Nelson´s talk to get that back going.  It was a way fun conference!

This week we were trying to help a family that was having a lot of really serious marriage problems. Obviously there wasn't a whole lot of advice that two single, 19 year old missionaries can give, but we gave the whole family blessings, which helped a lot I think.

That night during the phone calls I made every Elder promise me that he would always treat his wife like a queen- and never criticize or humble her in front of others. (I feel like that's not the best word choice- but I'm not sure how to say it in English:)

It killed me to see this couple fighting in front of the kids- and sharing all of the faults and problems in public. I am so grateful for my parents who I feel set me a great example of how to have a loving, caring marriage.

That's pretty much all, not a whole lot happened this week. We just got the call that Elder Palmer and I are staying together for another change! I'm so excited!

We got the electricity fixed for good this week!

One of my biggest weaknesses here is the music. If I here a catchy or familiar song on the street it robs my thoughts and the spirit instantly, because I let it. I really feel that this is one of the biggest things holding me back from being a more consecrated and successful missionary. On Sunday- after conference- I knelt down and promised to the Lord that I would focus on this one thing. I promised that I will make every effort to control better my thoughts. I've almost survived pday (which is always the hardest because we do things like eat in a restaurant and shop etc) but I've still got a lot more days to go. And it really takes a specific diligent effort. I would really appreciate your prayers for me to have more self control, and to have the spirit with me more:) Thanks in advance!

That's about all

LOL  (Love you lots!)

-Elder Goodman

No comments:

Post a Comment